Saturday, August 01, 2009

New Slang

For one reason or another, New Slang by The Shins has been in my head a lot lately. I finally rediscovered my Ipod and there it was - the Garden State soundtrack. I love the scene in which New Slang is played - Zac Braff is in a doctor's waiting room with Natalie Portman, who has foisted her earphones on him. He's listening to the song and staring at her with narrowed eyes. She stares back at him intently, watching him listen to a song, watching for his reaction. And his face is filled with an overwhelming sadness.

It's a great movie and it's a great song. I really enjoyed the symmetry of it coming up on the Ipod as I sat in A&E with my feet up on the chair, watching people come and go to the words "I'm looking in on the good life". Unfortunately, Zac and Natalie did not make an appearance.

2 comments:

Ane said...

great movie and great soundtrack...

Liz said...

I'm going to have to watch it again soon I think.