Monday, August 24, 2009

Making it up as we go along

I watched my manager put together a presentation, using the work we've done over the past month (a lot of work, I hasten to add) to justify major changes to the company website. It was all I could do not to run around the office screeching: "We don't know what we're doing! It's all bullshit! We've made it all up! And who cares anyway? It's only a poxy £400,000 project!" And then I fell into a tiny heap, sobbing.

Ok, only in my head.

This job matters to me, in the way all things I work at matter to me. I want to get it right, first time, perfectly. But we're all just making it up as we go along.

3 comments:

Linda said...

As someone who spends a great deal of time wishing clients would put more time and though into their site content, I applaud you.

EdgyJuneCleaver said...

Whenever one of my more junior coworkers asks me a question about a medication or disease process and I can deliver the correct answer without consulting a reference; a little voice from the back of my head chimes in and says: "How the Hell do you know that is true? Are you sure about all of this? Are you right?" And I know I'm right and it scares me.

Liz said...

I used to get the same feeling when explaining my reasons for editing a story in a specific way, and having to defend that decision.

@Linda - the website is here if you want to see why it needs some work! But shhh, don't tell my bosses that.