Monday, August 03, 2009

Books, books, books

Some new additions to the bookshelves:

The Collected Dorothy Parker - Dorothy Parker
Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk
What We Talk About When We Talk About Love - Raymond Carver
Fifteen Tales of Modern Attraction - Alison MacLeod

The last two are short story collections. I covered Raymond Carver in third year English, along with other modern Americans, and fell in love then. That was Where I'm Calling From, so we'll see how Love compares. My friend Cams has been recommending it to me for ages, so on her head be it.

I love short stories, and of all the different forms of writing I've tackled, I enjoy that most. Maybe because there's value in the vignette? Power in the pause? Something special about dipping ever so briefly into a character's life, and then having the story end before you're ready to say goodbye.

No comments: