Tuesday, August 04, 2009

It's a mystery

I'm not the best detective novel reader in the world, because while I get sucked into the story, I don't usually read along identifying whodunit, or spotting red herrings. But I do enjoy mysteries. And a good crime with a twist is always entertaining. Sherlock Holmes is always a good bet. I haven't read any Agatha Christie, a situation I intend to rectify. I've read some PD James, but I don't love Dalgliesh (not sure why, but I find him a bit wet). Elizabeth George's Lynley books are really great, as is Kathy Reich's Temperance Brennan series. I have absolutely no time for Patricia Cornwall though.

And now I've finally sampled the ambrosia of Dorothy L Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey, and have found myself in a heady netherworld of crime and passion, with a delightful Edwardian English atmosphere. Sorry, got a little carried away there.

Although initially Lord Peter is just a little too foppish to cope with, his character is soon revealed to be intelligent, acerbic and shrewd. The language is really great - lots of intelligent puns and classic references that just make Wimsey stand out even more. And the supporting characters are so well drawn - Bunter especially.

But most of all, the plot is engaging and sucks you in. Arsenic and spiritualism are a brilliant combination. And I'm extra gleeful - there's a whole series of Wimsey left for me to read. I love it when that happens.

2 comments:

Catherine said...

I completely adore Wimsey - which book(s) have you read? (Now that I've finished them all, I kind of envy you!)

Liz said...

Only Strong Poison, which you and M recommended I start with! Thinking I might go back to the beginning now. He was a treat...