Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Perhaps sedation is the answer?

I've always been quite the active sleeper. I talk a lot of nonsense, I kick and toss and I sleepwalk. I have done some research on somnambulism and apparently it mostly has to do with an overactive or disturbed mind. I'll leave you to make your own decision on that point.

Usually my sleep strolls take the form of waking up in the living room or wherever and just going back to bed. Once the mother woke me up in the bathroom where I was trying to put my school uniform on over my pyjamas.

Since I moved into my own place though I've started wandering around more often, almost all as a result of a conviction that I'm being broken into or attacked (see post below for paranoia inducing events). Once or twice I've found myself in the sitting room having ripped my bedside lamp out of the wall. Sometimes I just find myself on the other side of the room, ready to roll/duck/cover/escape. Last night I raced into the kitchen, put on the light and grabbed a long knife where I stood posed to, I don't know, puncture my imagination until I woke up completely. Maybe nytol is the way forward...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear lizbet i think you have is what is known in the business asparanoia and post traumatic stres. I suggest trying the following

a. try deep breathing exercises while sitting on the floor alternatively you could try heavy breathing but this would mean having to share your space with some one other than the woo.
b. do night patrol around your perimeter that way you will know that no one is in your place before you go to bed and so you will fall asleep easier.
c. keep a knife or other handy object like a walking stick close to the bed. you will feel like you have a weapon and are safer in your bed *take back the power girl*
d.get shit drunk every night
e.start watching things like the care bears and other such fuzzy feel good cartoons-remember what you see last has an effect on what you think about when you sleep.
f. get the fucking bastard landlords to fix the gate.
g.pile all your furniture in front of any access point and rig booby traps all over the house (at strategic locations) i recommend bells on string oil slicks in front of the window
h. tie yourself to the bed, although i admit this is no fun alone

if none of the above work i recommend seeking help immediately from a trained proffesional for an exorbitant amount of money

Kristy said...

As tongue in cheek as the above post is, I do think that b. and c. might actually help! My brother used to sleep with a wooden baseball bat next to his bed.
You might also consider putting in deadbolts and burglar bars on your windows. Just make sure they are welded on not riveted - from experience, those rivets just pop out with enough pressure. How about a lock on your bedroom door? That way if they get in, they can't get to you and Siska. Safest option really, as you never know how many there are, and if they have weapons or not. Will also contain any excursions to your room.

What about joining/starting a neighbourhood watch scheme? Or you could club together with your neighbours for a security guard at night.

Of course, f. is the ideal option, but may, in fact, not happen (being Africa and all...)

*Big hugs from us*

Marissa said...

I keep visiting your blog but no new posts seem to be appearing. My devotion to PATTOTE might soon wither and die without your better living comments.