Monday, April 03, 2006

The house that Liz built

This weekend I had my first Habitat experience and it was brilliant. We went out to KTC squatter camp in Nyanga to start the roof of a house that they had built over a month of consecutive Saturdays. Apparently, internationally, Habitat finishes a house every 24 minutes. They can go from foundation to dedication in just five days.

Anyway, we spent most of the day building roof trusses and lifting them up onto the house. I really enjoyed the hammering and I was unbelievably stiff as a result. Very satisfying.

It was bizarre being a tourist in my own country. KTC is actually really pretty. Impoverished, yes, but green, tons of dogs racing around and kids everywhere. They're very friendly and follow you about in these huge gangs holding onto your hands. We were greeted with shouts of "Abalungu, Abalungu" (White people! White people!) which was just bloody funny.

After we were done with the building we retired to a nearby shebeen where we were inundated with political affirmation (We think white people are cool, you should all come visit more often, one nation, all african, etc) and inside you're like "Great dude, nice to hear it, but can I finish my quart of amstel (one size, R9.50) in peace please?"

The US marines who accompanied us on the build were looking a little shell-shocked by the end...

There are two things I learnt from the experience.

1) It was really nice not to obsess about my own life for a day.

2) Although my red hard hat made me look like Bob the builder, I pulled off the construction thing admirably.

No comments: