Wednesday, August 24, 2011

I'll give you something to ack about

The Friends have all gotten demanding and want me to put a post up. But my whole life right now could be summarised by one word: aaaaaaaaackkkkkkk!

So I'm acking, about stuff. I'm acking about my birthday party, where I will try to combine friends, which always scares me a little. I'm hoping the red wine will ease any bumps. And I was reminded the other day that everyone there will have something in common, i.e. me, but that just makes for more pressure.

I'm acking about moving, because there still so much fucking stuff all over my fucking room, and I don't actually know what to do with it. Yes, I can pack up the boxes, but then what? Where do they go then? There's no room for boxes. And I would really like to see my floor sometime soon. Or maybe I don't, because if I clear the floor then I'll need to vacuum, and I just don't have that kind of energy.

I'm acking about my job, because it's new and it's hard and I don't think I'm very good at it. Yet. I'm sure I will be, but at the moment I really wish I could get a nice dose of flu. Nothing dire, just something to keep me out of work for a week or so, so I could regroup. Except the work would all still be waiting for me when I got back, so what's the point?

I'm acking about money, because I always ack about money.

I'm acking about the furniture I want for my new house, because I don't want to look like I live in a Holiday Inn, but somehow I've only purchased pine furniture in the last two years and I hate pine but it was the only stuff that was available. I think I'll go to Ikea and get two black bookcases to intersperse between my pine ones, and try to break up the pine hell. And I need to get a nice lampshade for my Malawi lamp, even though its proven impossible to wire. It'll make a very nice lampstand anyway. And a nice rug for the floor. And of course the all important sleeper couch. See, lots of acking going on there.

And lastly I'm acking about my sodding MA, which I am excited and TERRIFIED about, because it's been so long since I studied anything, much less did any critical analysis and I don't know if I can remember how. And I still need to buy all my books, so that's something to ack about next month. Why didn't you all STOP me when I was said, oooh, might do my MA. You're all supposed to stand between me and the madness!

The only thing I'm not acking about is turning 30. But I'm sure that will change.

6 comments:

Leigh said...

thank you....but you still owe us at least two more...think abt it as writing practice :)

Liz said...

But what if I have NOTHING left to saaaaaaaaaaay?

Hayley said...

invent something - it doesn't have to be real. We just like readings. =)

Tha Mother said...

You will never get a small dose of flu You always go the full hog !!!

Margaret said...

Black ironwork furniture is also relatively cheap - my bed came from Argos and cost only £99 (I had to replace the slats six months later, but those are cheap) and it looks awesome and Victorian and cool.

Also, scour Craigslist - that's where my dining room chairs and that red Orientalist sideboard came from.

And you will be AWESOME at the MA. It may take you a few essays to get back in your stride, but you'll get there. Because you rock. Just like you'll be awesome at your new job once you learn the ropes.

Liz said...

You got your bed from ARGOS?! Why did I think you lugged it home on the bus? I really like that bed. But I mostly covet your sideboard. I love that sideboard.

I enjoyed my trip round IKEA with Hayley the other day - it gave me some good ideas and I got an awesome carpet and it reduced my worry factor by about 10 per cent, so I'll be fine :)