Thursday, June 10, 2010

Three years

Today, I've been in the UK for three years. I've moved a lot, seen more of my family, met a lot of people, liked some of them enough to make proper friends with, cemented older friendships, seen a lot of movies, read a lot of books, worked at a lot of jobs, and travelled quite a bit.

I've also lost a perfect job, been on disasterous dates, lived with some very unpleasant people, and been diagnosed with an incurable disease.

But today, today is the point. Today I'm happy. Today I'm looking forward and backward with equal amusement, and my anxiety is only a tiny voice in the background. Today I think about all the good things, and ignore the bad things. Today I decided to stop looking back quite so much, because even when you're looking back with no regrets, too much introspection gives you a migraine and a vague feeling of discontent.

Today is the day that matters. Tomorrow will take care of itself.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I don't always get to read your blog as often as I'd like, but I am always glad I did.

As cliched as it may sound, looking back doesn't do a lot of good. I'm with you that today is what matters.

Congrats on your 3-year UK anniversary. May you have many happy years ahead of you!