Friday, June 08, 2012

It's a fiscal plan, Charlie Brown

I've just spent a very happy hour doing a chart prediction of how much I could save by this time next year, by incrementally increasing how much I save. I really, really want to get up to saving that magical 10% of my yearly salary number. I'm realising that this is not out of the realm of reason. I just have to stick with the budgeting, no matter how crabby and sobby it makes me. Having my calculations work out - that will be a great reward. Even if Murphy's Law says I will end up putting my precious savings into something annoying, like fixing my car or finally going to the dentist.

My point is, if I can just get into this habit now, I will a) be in a sensible place that means I'll never have to start OVER; b) never be rich, but always have a cushion instead of hording coppers; 3) have a good 30 or 40 years of saving time left.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

This year was supposed to be the magical threshold year, that gets me from managing, kind of, to financial confidence. It's so bloody boring, but it HAD to be done.

And the fact that I know for sure I won't have to change jobs and therefore salary any time soon? A sweet, glorious relief.

No comments: