Friday, April 23, 2010

Dear Michelle Harrison

I finally read Thirteen Curses (it's been hanging around my TBR pile for weeks), and I have to say, unfortunately it's not as compelling as Thirteen Treasures.

The story starts well, but then moves around in fits and starts. Doom arrives but is speedily worked out, then doom arrives again. There's too much going in this book and I thought it served neither of the story lines well to be jammed into this one volume.

Rowan still bugged me with her weirdly adult voice and stubborn attitude, but perhaps you created her that way? In which case, well done! It worked.

I know that ultimately this is a teen book, but I think it could have done with being a little longer and a little more in depth. It's a good story and it deserved that.

At least someone finally admits that fairies are creepy little fuckers.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you'll try your hand at next.

1 comment:

ChutneyLid said...

hee hee hee - ditto to that!