Monday, October 16, 2006

It's all in my head.

Allow me a little whinge, please, as migraine weather has arrived and I now have a public forum in which to vent. Those who don't suffer from migraines can smirk: "Oh, it's just a headache," as much as they want. When they've curled up in a fetal position in a dark room, been slowly driven mad by one tiny little crack of moonlight, or thrown up so badly they almost lost an eyeball, then I'll consider their opinion.

I have heard varying reasons for migaines. The most reasonable explanation (according to a neurologist I once visited) is that there is a dip in serotonin levels, causing neuropeptides to dilate blood vessels in the brain, causing the headache. Migraines are characterised by pain on one side of the head. I usually feel nauseated, irritable, sensitive to light and sound, and can't take being touched in any way. I have occasionally had numbness on one side of my body but it's not a regular part of the attacks.

The most difficult part of treating migraines is that...there isn't any real way to treat them. You can try to prevent them, and try to reduce the number you have and their duration. I use Maxalt, which is rizatriptan, with a lot of success. But it only works if you take it as early into the migraine as possible.

Unfortunately the triggers vary hugely. Mine are chocolate, cheese, flashing lights and stress. I've also recently discovered that overprocessed junk food adds to your chances of getting them too.

And of course, I've indulged in all of these delightful things in the past while. And now I'm paying for it badly. I suppose the good thing is that now I can come back to this post and it can be a deterrent.

Until then, I'll clutch my sunglasses and sleep. Whinge over.

5 comments:

Marissa said...

I was on the point of asking whether you can eat certain things that increase serotonin levels (such as chocolate), but then saw that this brings on the migraine. What gives?
Anyhow, hope you feel better soon.

mike said...

I've never had one... but I'm sure they're not just headaches. Shame hey. My friend Nats was describing them to me the other day. They sound dreadful!

Kristy said...

http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=31&art_id=vn20061021090459439C416723

Interesting article on migraine. So, do you have hayfever?

Anonymous said...

whinge whinge whinge whinge!i have a suggestion- do you know what types of activities increase the seratonin levels? i do.

Kristy said...

Yes Leigh, but those things also increase blood flow, and since increased blood flow in the brain is one theory of why migraines happen, they probably wouldn't help.

In some cases, "I have a headache" is a valid excuse!

:)