Monday, October 09, 2006

The Ellis Family Bush Telegraph System

11:02am I talk to The Sister. She tells me The Parents will be visiting for a few days. I tell her a joke.

11:30 am The Parents phone. They tell me they're going to visit The Sister for a few days. They tell me a joke they heard from The Sister. Yes, my joke. I tell them that is my joke. They say The Sister laid claim to it.

11:38 am Cue outraged phone call from myself to The Sister's landline. The landline is engaged.

11:39 am Cue fuming phone call from myself to The Sister. She picks up on the cellphone. The Mother is on the Landline warning The Sister that beans have been spilt re owner of the joke.

11:40 am The Sister talks to The Mother and Myself, one in each ear. We agree to let bygones be bygones.

1pm two days later The Father calls. The Mother is at work and he is getting a sneaky chat with me ("I won't tell if you don't"). He tells me the fun they had visiting The Sister, The Sister's Fiance and Curtis-the-Fetus. He says The Mother will call later.

4pm The Sister calls. She tells me the fun they had while The Mother and The Father visited.

10pm The Mother calls. The Father is asleep and she is getting a sneaky chat with me ("I won't tell if you don't"). She tells me the fun they had visiting The Sister, The Sister's Fiance and Curtis-the-Fetus. Goodnight, they'll call again for the regularly scheduled Saturday chat.

Who has a chance to miss anyone in this family? We're always talking.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well you can't say you don't know what is going on .THE MOTHER

Kristy said...

At least you don't find out about the impending arrival of new extended family members when someone 'happens' to mention that the christening was nice...

mike said...

Joke ownership is such a contentious issue! I'm glad your family has the means to sort it out.

Liz said...

If she'd just stop stealing the jokes and admit that I am, in fact, the funny one, there wouldn't be a problem.

Anonymous said...

How rude! I am, and will always be, the funny one. The sooner you accept that the better. :-)