Thursday, June 01, 2006

Another Harry Potter phase

I go through these Harry Potter phases every so often, when all I want to do is submerge myself in the Potter world and I voraciously suck up every iota of information I can find. There are other books that do the same thing; it's not just a Potter thing, it's a Liz obsessively getting into whatever interests her at the moment thing. I had the same dedication to Star Trek in high school.

The worst part about these little lapses into obessession is that I find it very hard to switch off after I've read the book or whatever. So I can keep worrying about the characters for hours after I've actually put the book down.

My favourite character from the Harry Potter books is Remus Lupin, the tragic werewolf with a heart of gold. I've loved him since JK Rowling first introduced him. She's written him perfectly as this lovely person with a horrible disease that makes him into a monster once a month. The rest of the time he's this mild mannered, quiet man who keeps a tight grip on his feelings and never lets anyone get close.

Maybe the reason I feel sorriest for him is because, like Harry, he has lost everything. I'm hoping the last book will bring the two of them closer (Harry is leaving school and he will need Lupin I think) and that JK Rowling will stifle any desire to kill him off.

The man seriously deserves to be happy. It's pretty cool that a writer can create this completely imaginary character that the reader ends up caring so much about.

The books I love the most are the ones where the characters are so alive I feel like I've lost close friends when the story ends. That's why I can read them over and over again.

3 comments:

Marissa said...

Tee hee. I remember the Star Trek phase. What do you mean, you went through that phase in high school?!

Marissa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Marissa said...

Thanks to your influence, I am now reading the series again. Damn! And with so many unread shelf-sitters.