Monday, May 21, 2012

Songs on the first mixed CD I ever made for myself*

Circa 2001, so I would have been about 19 and in second year of university. I was crazy in love with my friend R, who had taken an LOA half way through the year and moved to the UK. And the Best Friend and I were in a constant state of warfare with another friend, except I don't think we realised that until much later. And I was clearly deeply consumed by navel gazing. Some would say full of emo claptrap. Or, you know, 19. I still listen to some of this, but genuinely some of these songs I had forgotten about, but as soon as I heard 'Outside', and 'Fine Again', I felt that intensity again. And then cringed and laughed, because come on! 'I'm on the outside, I'm looking in, I can see through you, see your true colours'. That's about as subtle as a cricket bat to the head.

I was reading somewhere that we cling to relationships and moments, even ones that have turned sour since, long after they've passed because we crave the dopamine hit we got the first time we experienced it. Maybe that's all our late teen, early 20s drama is. Addiction to strong hits of dopamine. Ah, those were the days...

Arms wide open - Creed
Higher - Creed
Stuck in a moment I can't get out of - U2
Hanging by a moment - Lifehouse
Kryptonite - Three Doors Down
Anthem for the year 2000 - Silverchair
Smells like teen spirit - Nirvana
Closing time - Semisonic
Semi-charmed life - Third Eye Blind
Good Riddance - Green Day
Wonderwall - Oasis
All star - Smashmouth
How you remind me - Nickleback
Outside - Staind
Slide - Goo Goo Dolls
Fine again - Seether
Everybody hurts - REM
Flavour of the week - American Hi-Fi
All the small things - Blink 182
The Hamster Dance Song - Because Dominic White was being Dominic White.

* I'm not including the heinous mixed tapes I made for myself in high school by recording Bryan Adams songs directly off KFM.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

God, yes, I remember angsting to How You Remind Me and Slide like nobody's business. Ah, the early 00s.

Stuck in a Moment was the song my mother associated with her boyfriend, I remember that.

For some reason, Arms Wide Open was one of those songs I knew at the time, but it never really affected me until years later. I'm much fonder of it now than I was then.