Monday, August 16, 2010

Less stuff doesn't necessarily make you a better person

I'm not loving this article, mainly because a few of the people who live these minimalist, digital vagabond lives handily crash on people's sofas. How is that removing the burden of everyday things? It feels to me like this is just another way of abdicating responsibility and making yourself a burden on others.

I can appreciate the appeal of decluttering, and getting rid of "stuff". I've done it - but I still have a lot of things that other people might consign to the "stuff" pile, but which mean something to me, and acquiring more of those things (DVDs and books particularly) makes me happy.

I don't know. "Digital vagabonds" make me pissy because they seem pretentious.

2 comments:

Marissa said...

Ugh. They sound awful. Like those twentysomethings who carry on about how they never want a desk job, because they have the soul of an artist, and so on. I just want to slap them and tell them to grow the hell up.

Liz said...

I know - they just have twat written all over them.