Friday, August 06, 2010

It's never what you think it's going to be

Just after I got my car I was trundling down the motorway to London when a truck threw up a little piece of gravel and chipped my windscreen. I've been quietly fretting about that windscreen, and sure enough, when I took my car for it's MOT a few weeks ago, the mechanic said that it would fail if I didn't have it checked out. Thankfully I have windscreen insurance (I didn't with my previous car, and it got its back window smashed up by some ASBO louts). So it was free to have the chip fixed, but the technician said it was hit or miss. It was just on the verge of being too big for the MOT to ignore. So I sent it for its MOT this morning, fretting about this chip, not wanting to fork out the £50 excess it will take to replace it.

And of course the car failed. The potholes created by the foul weather we had this year have done their work well, and I need to replace both shock absorbers (£150 worth of work), and I need to replace my one tyre (I don't know how much that will be, I can't bring myself to call and find out).

And the windscreen? Wasn't even mentioned.

Typical.

No comments: