Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Continuously preparing for the worst

Things are going pretty well at the moment: contract at a job I love has been extended, allowing me to earn enough money to keep me very comfortable; The Cocks have moved out, making The House a much less fraught place; I'm planning my yearned for trip to New York; a sushi restaurant has opened up right here in The Hellmouth; and I have more books than I could ever possibly read.

So on balance, things are really looking up. But instead of revelling in the joy of relative contentment, I'm fretting about how I don't make enough of my time, that I'm not visiting stately manors and museums every weekend, and whether I'm really working hard enough to deserve my job (I'm not).

So I'm back to creating my lists of goals and penances, my schedules, my notes to myself - all the paraphenalia that accompanies me when things go pear-shaped in a vain attempt to prevent things from going more pear-shaped. They're all still here. Just in case.

3 comments:

Liz said...

Continuously or continually? I can't decide.

Marissa said...

When are you going to New York?

Liz said...

Last week of September! So excited :)