Sunday, February 28, 2010

The way home

I drove into London this weekend to see friends, of which I have more than I realise on a day to day basis. It's always a pleasant surprise when I think of it, and makes me appreciate them more.

I drove back to The Hellmouth via Epping Forest. If I ever move back to London, I think I'll find a spot there somewhere. It's the part of the city that reminds me most of Cape Town. Something about the winding road through the trees and the occasional flashes of distant hills - suddenly I'm on Rhodes Drive in my claptrap car, trundling over Constantia Nek towards Hout Bay. And then a left-hand drive, long distance lorry from Poland comes lurching across a traffic circle straight at me and I'm back in grey England.

Thank God February is over. I can breathe again.

2 comments:

ChutneyLid said...

yes. it's beasutiful on this side. come come come!
and be aware of polish trucks!

PA said...

Oh, yeah, Rhodes Drive, know it well!