Friday, January 01, 2010

Read It Round Up 2009

I managed to beat 2008's total by about 10, with my final total of new books read coming in at 79. I'm so proud.

There are a lot of Nora Roberts and Katie Fforde books on the list again this year, but at the end of 2008 I promised I would try to read more "classics", and by classics I mean landmark novels, short stories and novellas. I loved Little Dorrit, and she really managed to get me over my Fear of Dickens. I also really enjoyed Revolutionary Road, The Book Thief, The Uncommon Reader and the Night Watch series. I was probably only truly disappointed by one book in 2009, and that was The Other Boleyn Girl. Philippa Gregory is definitely not for me.

What I would like to do in 2010 is read more Dickens and more Thomas Hardy. I'd also like to read as much Haruki Murakami as possible. I'm hoping to write a really good Dear Author entry for each new book I read as well.

But a good year's reading all round. I was in Waterstones the day before yesterday and as I wandered the stacks I was suffused with a feeling of satisfaction. Could I have chosen a better hobby? Never!

No comments: