Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Blackwell's

I'm still working on finding a job, but since arriving in this damp and misty land I have comforted myself by enjoying the great bookshops - second-hand, new, antiquarian, bizarre. In addition to the ubiquitous Waterstones, I've also found Blackwell's, which focuses on fantasy, sci fi, with a heavy dollop of manga. I'm pretty meh on the manga, but fell in love when I found the final installment of a trilogy which hasn't actually been released back home yet, Voice of the Gods by Trudi Canavan. Admittedly it has the tawdry US cover, but still! (Aside: Dear US publishers - tawdry covers are what gives fantasy such a bad name. She's a priestess, not an Orion slave girl.)

They also have some really great miniatures and models. Would you like a phaser for Christmas? Would you like a Dalek as a doorstop? Want a life-size cardboard cut-out of David Tennant to kiss goodnight? Blackwell's is for you!

PATTOTE: I wish I had never discovered Dr Who. Do I really need another obsession? Not so much.

2 comments:

Marissa said...

"Voice of the God's"? Surely not.

Liz said...

The world of fantasy is a murky place. As is its spelling.