Thursday, January 11, 2007

Jane Austen's Life

I've just finished Claire Tomalin's biography, Jane Austen: A life. I really enjoyed it. Tomalin's writing is well researched without being too academic, and very accessible.

However, I think she places too much emphasis on certain aspects of Austen's life, so I don't agree with all her conclusions. If Austen feared abandonment, it was predominantly due to her being sent away to school so early, rather than being put out to nurse. I know Tomalin draws on both of these, but I put more faith in the second factor.

That said, I think she did a brilliant job investigating a really enigmatic woman, supported by research into the family and the times. It's not just a biography of Austen, but of Austen's England, and Austen's family - all of which feature so heavily in her work. To understand one is to know the other and that's well demonstrated.

I also enjoyed reading more about Aussten's character. Her narrative style is so sly and witty, and it was so lovely to see that part borne out in her life.

My visit to Chawton and Bath last year really brought the story alive too. I want to go back there, as well as go to Steventon and Winchester Cathedral.

Now, until I find collections of her letters, I'll carry on rereading her novels. It's fascinating how you can read her work at 16, and then again at 25, and come away with such completely different opinions of her characters and plots. She's a tricky, intelligent writer. I admire any author who can make you like and hate somebody at the same time. Yes, Fanny Price, I'm glaring at you.

Next up: Howard's End by EM Forster

PATTOTE: Better living through books, books, books.

No comments: