Sunday, January 05, 2014

A Long Walk to Freedom

A version of this is posted to Just Finished Watching.

Really well done, neatly constructed and epic account of Nelson Mandela's life, the struggle and South Africa's evolution. That said, I found myself not spectacularly moved. I don't know if this is because I know the story really well, and so I knew exactly how it would unfold as a movie. I found it really interesting, and Idris Elba and Naomie Harris were fantastic as Nelson and Winnie Madikizela-Mandela, but it didn't ping my sentiment bone, like Invictus. Worth watching though.

To my Saffa shame, I haven't read the book. I will now, though!

Trailers: 'Wolf of Wall Street', which seems kind of random but might be amusing. And something dire-looking called 'The Monument Squad', but as Jones rightly pointed out, if we're going to get enough out of our cinema cards, we'll need to become less discerning.



No comments: