Thursday, April 04, 2013

A note from the archive

Monday, April 10, 2006

You know what they say about an untidy desk...

To give you some insight into my untidy mind, here are the full and engrossing contents of my desk at work (my desk at home is a whole other story, involving several dog toys, five cent pieces and some pens that met with a tragic accident):

A computer. Apple Mac. Called The Light. A misnomer as it mostly drives me crazy by requiring frequent restarting, which takes on average 10 minutes. Also has a tendency to randomly shut down Quark, mostly right before we go to print. The resultant swearing is loud and creative.

A keyboard. Attached to Apple Mac. Is covered in tea stains and ooh, is that a crumb? Huh, when last did I have Fritos?

A scanner. You'd think a national newspaper would have moved beyond a 5-year-old flatbed scanner. You'd think wrong.

Two in trays. Top one contains new community photographs, thoughtfully sent in by Catholics around the country to torture me with their graininess and penchant for snapping black people, wearing white vestments, against a black background. Also blank cds for when I get round to backing up last year's issues. Like that's going to happen. Bottom tray contains a mass of application forms, pictures for the now defunct children's page, copies of threatening letters to writer of now defunct children's page, competition entries I forgot about (oops) and a board game I was supposed to review but hope the editor has forgotten about. Also an outdate postcode book which I misplaced and replace with the outdated postcode book from admin (I should give that back to them sometime). Scraps of interviews I did last year sometime. Cartoons for still active youth page. Deadline sheet for youth page that writer had better pay attention to. Pieace of paper on which I keep track of how often the journalist uses the words "pointed out" in a story. Scrap of paper with possible music compilation scribbled on it.

Filing cabinet filled with old issues, old community pictures and new community pictures. On top of filing cabinet - two whiteboard erasers, some whiteboard markers and a zip drive that hasn't been used since the month I started working here.

Box of blank scrap paper for making a bazillion notes I then lose. Also useful for cutting out snowflakes to the amusement of deskmate.

Ruler. Was 1m, now a little over 45cm.

Paste up sheets for this week's ads.

Copy of "leadership" magazine that editor leaves on my desk as a cruel joke.

Copy of Catholic Directory. Now out of date because the pope died and priests move around with no forwarding address.

Book containing list of tortuous community pictures. Several books with kids games that are now no longer necessary. Dictionary. Book with shortcuts and style guide.

Time magazine.

Box of extra strength disprin.

Pot of fig flavoured lip balm (it's sparkly)

Piece of paper reminding myself that the last time I backed up the newspaper was Feb 23, 2005.

Cellphone.

Filofax stuffed with little pieces of paper.

Small scrap paper holder.

Broken mug containing an assortment of pens, highlighters and several pencils, one of which reads Jesus Loves Me, a gift from a coworker (oy).

Community pics for this week.

An entire story thoughtfully written in longhand and faxed.

Half empty tube of nivea soft.

Wow, I need to throw stuff out. I would but the box under my desk is full.

PATTOTE - Better living through packratting



No comments: