Sunday, December 06, 2009

Progress?

A little while ago I posted a post about the fact that questions keep me awake at night. A friend asked me if that was true, do I really lie awake at night questioning and wondering? I said yes, because I do. But later, as I was replaying the conversation in my mind, I realised that I wasn't being completely honest. Because I hadn't realised that something had changed. I still lie awake sometimes, and then I think long middle-of-the-night thoughts (I blame the medication I've just gone cold turkey on), but I don't do it nearly as much as I used to do. I still fret, but it's not the destructive fretting I remember from a few years ago. I still worry, but it's not the all encompassing worry that used to make me not want to get up in the morning. It's all become tinged with a practicality. A pragmatism. A realisation that it's OK to have a mope, or a wallow, or feel a bit fretful. But there's no point in letting get in the way of my sleep. Or my life.

Progress? Who knew! It happened and I didn't even realise.

1 comment:

PA said...

Where's your thumbs up thing gone? I'd have pressed it a couple of times :-)