Wednesday, July 29, 2009

How does it end?

I've consulted tabloid stars, broadsheet horoscopes and internet predictions. I'll turn over tarot cards, throw apple peel over my shoulder and consult tea leaves - I'll even give coffee grounds a try. I've sat in church and prayed (admittedly not enough), I've lain awake at night and pleaded, I've screwed up my eyes and repeated "Now I lay me", wondering if ending it differently will make it all end differently. I've eyed up the hotlines of phone psychics, I've walked past flea market clairvoyants, I've tossed coins down wishing wells. I'm carrying a St Jude's medal on my keyring but am transferring it to my wallet just in case. I've crossed my fingers and held my thumbs. I'm not standing on cracks, or walking between posts or under arches. But I still don't know how it will end. And if it will all be all right. I just need to know everything will be fine.

It'll be fine.
It'll be fine.
It'll be fine.

I said it three times, that should work.

Maybe if I say it with more feeling.

Please, please let it all be fine.

No comments: