Friday, September 26, 2008

Moron moment

So...I went shopping for a birthday card and a birthday present today. They were for two different people, so I went into a gifty shop. You know the type, with ribbons and cutsies covering every surface and those creepy dolls staring at you with flat, dead eyes.

Anyway, I narrowly avoided tripping over a shelf of Beatrix Potter china and managed to pick out a silver piggy bank for friend one (she's in finance, I thought it was whimsical). Well pleased with my choice I wended my way to the wall of birthday cards (it's a huge wall, jam-packed with cards) for friend two. Funny cards, rude cards, religious cards, cards that light up, cards with pop-ups, cards with badges, you name it.

And then I see this one card that has a row of buttons on the front. And a little screen. And I'm thinking, cool, calculator birthday card. And then I notice it has "In case of panic" written in big letters over the top. And in the split second it took me to reach forward to grab the card, I realised that I had mistaken the shop's alarm system for a birthday card with a wise-cracking calculator that makes fun of the recipient's age.

Thankfully, I hadn't activated the self-destruct sequence.

3 comments:

CTV said...

Ha, story of the month.

Liz said...

Yup. Officially brain-dead.

Anonymous said...

ha ha ha, brilliant! You just made my morning :)