Monday, September 08, 2008

Had we but world enough and time

I made mashed pumpkin, chicken and bulgar wheat for dinner tonight. I had the pumpkin and I decided to be "creative" and sprinkled cumin and coriander over it. It was delicious, if I do say so myself, but I had to stop myself from yanking the chicken before it was perfectly done. As I put it back on the heat, I wondered what my rush was.

Following that thought I read some of the food blogs I enjoy - lots of brilliant ideas - and one recipe caught my eye, for roasted tomato salad. The tomatoes roast for about three hours, then sit for two, then roast for another three hours. And I thought, what's the rush? Why not wake up on a Saturday morning and think, today I'm going to make tomato salad. It's going to take me all day. I'm looking forward to it.

The whole week I've been plagued with a sense of purposelessness. A sense of rootlessness. I'm already tired of living with someone - I want to move on. But I want a house, and a garden, and I can't afford that right now. I may never be able to afford if the credit crunch keeps crunching. I want to grow stuff, and take riding lessons again, and have a room devoted to books, and go to farmers' markets on a Sundy morning, and have a dog, and a cat, and go to Morocco so I can buy a tagine dish, and visit a museum every Saturday, and go out for breakfast, and see a movie with a friend, and take a bike ride in a park, and buy cds and finish Doris Lessing's Love, again, and enjoy my work and be promoted, and have someone around in the evenings to laugh with and bitch at, and to be able to afford to not hang on by my finger nails, and expect the universe to drop out at any minute.

It could have something to do with the MS, but that feels too easy, too pat. It makes the equation too simple, just as blaming it on my birthday seems too transparant to be true.

Nothing is stopping me from doing all these things. Slowly I'm working towards the goals. There's no rush. So why do I feel like I'm running out of time?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, if you want to grow stuff, you can come and help us dig over the allotment... ;)