Thursday, April 24, 2008

The nature of indecisiveness

Does anybody else get themselves into a knot about favouring one thing over another? Even when I was little I used to feel horribly guilty when I chose one toy over another, imagining that the other toy was feeling abandoned and forlorn, or even worse, angry and bent on revenge. Of course, this left me never able to choose a favourite. Asked what my favourite book was, I’d be paralysed with the fear of leaving something out, so “I can’t pick one” became my stock phrase, blurted out and bringing every conversation to a crashing halt.

Which is how I ended up having a furious under-the-breath argument with myself on the train about which Jane Austen novel I’d rather be stuck on a desert island with (sidebar: shouldn’t this be a deserted island?). I was reading Persuasion at the time and made the mistake of remarking to myself that I like this one best. Except I can’t like it best because I like Pride and Prejudice best. Although Persuasion is her most advanced and adult work. But that’s what I like Mansfield Park for. They can’t be equal in status. Can they? No, what about Emma? Or Sense and Sensibility? I like them so much my hypothetical children will be called Emma and Elinor! Caught! I’m caught in the web of my own over-rationalisation.

PATTOTE: Better living through Northanger Abbey, which I didn’t mention in this post but which is a brilliant work in it’s own right.

No comments: