Friday, April 18, 2008

Ask a simple question

I got into an argument with a coworker today on the nature of simplicity (based on my previous post about how people are too complicated). He maintains that it’s all very simple and we make it complicated because we think there’s more to “it” than “this”. What it and this is still up for discussion.

Anyway, he thinks that we should be children, because children know it all. I say this is a cop-out, because the only reason children are “simple” is because they don’t have all the information. By information I mean they aren’t privy to the societal and emotional cues that we develop as we become adults, and which I believe make things complicated. He believes there is no information, that we’re not developing and that only the things around us do. He used the fact that every society has contemplated the human condition without an answer ie there is no answer and understanding that returns us to simplicity.

I feel that saying because thousand-year old books don’t have an answer means we won’t ever have answers means nothing – only that your argument has a thousand-year head start.

I just feel that we are complicated, and saying we’re simple is too easy. I think that in our development from what we were to what we are now (whether we’re hardwired for progress, or biologically geared for survival) we’ve lost and gained communication skills. We communicate more effectively verbally, but have lost the ability to read body language as effectively. We may wish we were simple, but we’re not. Thoughts?

No comments: