Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Gum Thief

I've been reading this for a few months. This is unusual for me because I generally rip through every book I start. This one had me lingering though, and I've been trying to figure out why. I think it's because of the style. The story itself is more a little series of vignettes. The pace is incremental. Thousands of little thoughts all connected to the relationship between these people (in the novel, and in the novel inside the novel). I appreciated this style because that's really what we are - a thousand little thoughts connected to our relationship with the world.

I felt a lot while reading this. I was moved, confused, bored in some places and provoked in others. I'm glad I've discovered Douglas Coupland. Now to read the others.

1 comment:

arcadia said...

I LOVE DOUGLAS COUPLAND. LOVE LOVE LOVE him. You should read generation x, microserfs, and definitely life after god.

he understands our generation in a way few authors do.