Friday, January 04, 2008

Food for thought

Somebody's sandwich was creating waves - it tasted shit and the owner was trying to pawn it off to hapless coworkers. Unsuccessfully, because he made the mistake of saying it tasted like shit. Not finding any takers, he threw it away. Four slices of bread, some kind of filling, with one bite taken out of it.

Nobody wanted it, and more importantly, there was no-one to give it to. And I thought, what a waste. But I didn't want the sandwich. If I had been at home I would have been able to give it to the nearest beggar, which is good. But it's wrong that there are so many I would have had to pick one. If I had found a beggar around here (they're around, just more carefully concealed), I would have been roundly abused for charity, which is bad. But it's good that there are fewer beggars. But it's bad that they're still around. But it's good that they're taken care of to the extent that they don't want a crummy sandwich. But it's bad that they're out there at all, why the hell won't they do something for themselves. But it's bad that they're being left to rot by the government a lot of the time. But it's good to give someone something to eat when they clearly need it But it's bad that they clearly need it.

Bloody sandwich.

Pattote: Better living through a liberal utopia, whenever that chooses to come along

No comments: