Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Raunchy Regency Reads

I like bodice-rippers as much as the next person. Who hasn't flicked through a Mills&Boon equivalent to get to all the lascivious bits? But I thought that a book based on Pride and Prejudice, a novel I love, respect, and re-read at least once a year, would be a little more, hmmm, what's the word? Good? Readable? Enjoyable?

Instead, Mr Darcy takes a Wife is pretty gross actually. And cliched. There should be a limit enforced as to the number of times the words "carnal pleasure", "carnal desire" and "carnal knowledge" can be used per page. Three is too many.

It's rare for me to dislike a book enough to stop reading it. I'm a literary masochist, I can't help myself. So in the spirit of masochism I am going to find and read as many of these sequels (and there are a plethora) as I can find.

Carrie Bebris, you'd better not disappoint.

PATTOTE: Better living through bodice-rippers, as long as they maintain their decorum.

No comments: