Monday, July 31, 2006

Ruining the Mystery

I'm reading the new Nora Roberts book, Angels Fall. It's really, really good. I'm trying to figure out who the murderer is and, while I have my suspects, she's not giving anything away in this one. So all in all I should be enjoying this book experience.

Except the book is completely riddled with spelling, grammar and punctuation errors, and they're driving me crazy. It's really jarring to be ripped out of an atmospheric thriller because quotes are the wrong way round, the last letter of a given word has become the first letter of the next word, or, as in one memorable paragraph, words are missing completely. Sentences need conjunctions and prepositions people, it's not a voluntary thing.

If the story wasn't so good, and if it wasn't against my policy to dump books half way, it would be gathering dust somewhere. But I need to know who the murderer is.

PATTOTE: Better living through grammar nazis.

11 comments:

Marissa said...

Grrr. Come the revolution, sloppy editors will be the first to go.

Liz said...

Absolutely! Sloppy editors and people who don't go when the light turns green.

Marissa said...

Er, I'm sometimes included in that last category... But let's blame that on inexperience and not on stupidity.
And let's add lecturers who just read from notes, and people who jump queues (sp?).

Anonymous said...

And people with double cabin, 4x4 prams on a narrow pavement? Please add them.....


Jaybee

Liz said...

I'm scribbling that onto my grotty list as we speak. It's number 234, just below people who drive on your bumper to get you to move, even if you're in a single lane.

Kristy said...

Grr. Hate that sort of thing. Will definitely have to ask you to edit my masterpiece! (Have to write it first though.)

Marissa said...

This list could become quite long.

Liz said...

Well, with people being so stupid that is to be expeced. That's why I haven't laminated it yet; everyday brings another thing to be annoyed about.

Anonymous said...

I would just like defendthose people out their whom realy just dont now houw to spell any beter. Honestly!!!!!!!

Yoo wood think that engleesh was taut in skool ore sumthing lyk that.

As four leeving out words in sentences, i have one thing to say

Liz said...

I'm rolling my eyes and adding you to the list of people to be bumped off as we speak...

Marissa said...

"Tom" is quite the comedian.
Also, add to the list any people who don't appreciate sarcasm or any other important component of a good sense of humour.