Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Literary bums

The Father sent me this email yesterday (punctuation his):

"Hi. I must tell you this quickly. About 07:30 this morning, one of the lesser-known-rough-sleepers came to Willow House asking if there was any chance of a cup of coffee. I said to him, that if he waited until 08:00 he could have breakfast. He then asked where I was from and I said: "South Africa". He went to his bag and took out a well-read, well-worn copy of Andre P Brink`s book [A Dry White Season]! Have a nice day. Love. Dad."

How cool is that?

PATTOTE - Better living through lesser-known-rough-sleepers with an eye for good reading.

6 comments:

Marissa said...

That is absolutely brilliant!

Anonymous said...

I hear that Andre P. Brink was born on the 29th May, he must have been a really great guy.

Marissa said...

I'm guessing that "tom" was also born on the 29th of May?

Liz said...

What on earth gave it away?

Anonymous said...

tom said, "must have been".Is he dead? I mean Brink !!

Marissa said...

No, André P Brink is not dead. Not yet, anyway.