Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Teaser Tuesday - July 24

I have a crazy number of books on the go right now, in various stages of interest and completion: Brighton Rock, by Graham Greene;  A Visit From The Goon Squad, by Jennifer Egan;  The Children Of Men, by P.D. James;  D-Day June 6, 1944, by Stephen E. Ambrose; Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley; How We Die: Reflections on Life's Final Chapters, by Sherwin B. Nuland; Shogun, by James Clavell; Committed: A Love Story, by Elizabeth Gilbert; and Night Shadow, by Nora Roberts.


I keep allowing myself to get distracted from these, because a new release or an old favourite gets in the way. But I'm determined to finish these before I buy Moon over Soho, which is the second part of Ben Aaronovitch's series about wizard coppers in London, and which I'm loving. Plus, have to finish off some Blake for my next MA block.


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly meme, hosted by Should Be Reading. Here are two sentences from Committed: A Love Story, by Elizabeth Gilbert, she of Eat, Pray, Love fame. It's...ok.
"When I posed the question again, another single friend replied, 'Wanting to get married, for me, is about a desire to feel chosen.' She went on to write that while the concept of building a life together with another adult was appealing, what really pulled at her heart was the desire for a wedding, a public event 'that will unequivocally prove to everyone, especially to myself, that I m precious enough to have been selected by somebody forever.'"

No comments: