Sunday, May 03, 2009

You've got mail

I love this movie, it's one of my standbys. When it first came out I went to see it three times in a row - one of the first times I picked a movie and went to it by myself. Today though four things strike me:

1) The cleverly modern computer graphics in the opening scene - really, really dated.

2) The dial up sound makes me giggle so hard. As does the 'you've got mail'.

3) Wait a minute, a movie that came out when I was a teenager is looking dated. Shit, I got old!

4) I was suddenly really taken aback by the fact that Joe was as eager to hear from Kathleen as she was to hear from him. Am I really so stuck in my view that I'm always going to be more interested in them than they are in me?

PATTOTE: Better living through romcom realisations

5 comments:

Kris said...

4) There is no 4, only 2 3's...

Liz said...

I don't know what you're talking about!

Kris said...

Hmm. That's cheating... ;)

arcadia said...

i LOVE this film. LOVE IT. all-time favourite romantic comedy. and for some reason, many people don't like it at all - i often find myself having to defend it when people snidely remark "I can't believe someone who loves bergman also likes you've got mail".

oh, and kathleen's wardrobe has had a definitive influence on the way i dress. that dress she wears at the end when she goes to meet joe? and the gray pleated skirt and white t-shirt when they're at the market? i own those pieces of clothing. sigh.

Liz said...

That's so funny, because everytime I watch it I think, oh, how I want those clothes. I envy you your dress especially!